Is the Finnish concept of ‘sisu’ relevant to Australian culture?

I worked with a Finnish person in my last job. She told me that it wasn’t unusual for colleagues in Finland to sauna together.

I couldn’t tell whether she was joking or not, but needless to say, anytime I raised the possibility with Australian colleagues they thought I was a pervert.

Sauna experiences aside, it might be that the Finnish concept of ‘sisu‘ is more translatable across cultures, and a collaboration between Flinders researchers and Finnish researchers is seeking to find out.

Sisu is a Finnish concept encompassing stoic determination, tenacity, grit, bravery, resilience and hardiness that helps an individual find courage and take action in the face of adversity.

The study is looking at whether the concept can translate to the Australian work and study environment, and whether having ‘sisu’ is related to general wellbeing.

To take part in the study, you will need to complete an online survey. It is really short.

I completed the survey. Took me only a few minutes.

You’ll do some wellbeing questions, stress levels, a bunch of Sisu questions (no surprise there). You can elect to provide contact details if you’d like to go into draw for some small voucher rewards.

Visit https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/93365/lomake.htm to do the survey.

You can access the research flyer here.

Flinders Research Studies Participate