Focused, Calm, and Positive: How Mindfulness for Academic Success is Helping our Students Thrive

This Mindfulness for Academic Success (MFAS) program update is from Rebecca, one of the MFAS facilitators.

We have now finished running Mindfulness for Academic Success for the fourth time at Flinders. Developed by Monash University, it is a 5-week program that teaches students to apply mindfulness-based strategies to common issues in academic life. Improving concentration, managing stress, and reducing procrastination are common outcomes of the program. Students have said it has helped them both academically and personally….

“I feel calmer”

“I am more focussed, have better time-management, and am more positive”

“I experience less anxiety in the morning and less stress related to emails and supervisory feedback, I’m less reactive”

“I find it much easier to concentrate on tasks I need to do”

“I don’t judge myself and my thoughts as harshly”

“I am more focussed, and have more tools at my disposal when I am experiencing stress, procrastinating and strong emotions”

“It was a great way to settle into first year”

“Only 5-weeks? I wish it were 10!”

So far 45 Flinders students have completed the course – if you want to gain the edge that they have, register your interest for a course next semester.

We are running the course twice in second semester, and places for the first course are almost full, so get in touch if you are interested.

E: oasis@flinders.edu.au

Course 1: Wednesdays 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th August & 4th September, 9:30-10:30am.

Course 2: Wednesdays 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th October & 6th November, 3-4pm

Flinders services and programs