Master Your Money Workshops

Mastering money is one of the best things you can do for your wellbeing.

However it is not necessarily something that we are taught to do as we grow up. If we’re lucky, our role models are financially literate and we pick up good habits. But that isn’t always the case.

I didn’t really start educating myself about money until I was in my 30’s and whilst I was able to make a number of positive changes to my financial situation, I wish that I had started earlier.

The reason?

Basically – compound interest.

The earlier you can start good habits of saving and investing, the better off you will be.

BUT to be in a situation where you can save and invest, you need to get on top of the basics: budgeting, managing debt, managing expenses.

So I was very excited when Collette from FUSA told me about the ‘Master Your Money Workshops’ that they are running in August.

These workshops have been co-created with students, for students. The workshops came about because of a recognition that financial concerns are one of the most commonly cited reasons for stress and having to leave university prematurely.

If you are even mildly interested in learning how to manage your finances better, I suggest you get along to one of these workshops. You will also learn about what financial supports are available to you as a student. 

There are two different workshops, each around 1 hour in length (with a bit of time for questions). Whilst there is some crossover between them, they have a different focus. Workshop 1 is about broad money management principles. Workshop 2 is more focused on money tips and resources related to being at university.

Workshop 1: A Student-Friendly Guide to Increasing Your Financial Fitness.

This will cover the basics of day-to-day money management including information on budgeting, saving, debt, insurance, superannuation and more.

Workshop 2: I’m not broke, I’m Pre-Rich: Navigating University Life on a Budget.

This workshop helps students make the most of their money while at University and includes information on the most common sources of income and the most common expenses, tips for reducing expenses while at University and also provides resources available if you are struggling financially while at University.

As an incentive, FUSA is offering a $20 Grind and Press voucher for your attendance at either workshop. Simple maths tells you that you can get $40 of vouchers for attending both workshops. I’m not sure what the current price of a coffee and cake is nowadays, but surely you could get a few for that money.

When and where

So there are workshops being run for specific groups of students, as well as some workshops that any student can attend.

There isn’t an RSVP system in place. Simply rock up on the day/time and the first 20 people will be accepted into each workshop.

Workshops for Flinders Living Students (at the Community Centre)

Workshop 1: Sunday the 11th August, 7-8pm

Workshop 2: Sunday the 18th August, 7-8pm

Open Workshops – for anyone (media room – the Hub)

Workshop 1: Tuesday the 13th August, 2.00-3.30pm

Workshop 2: Tuesday the 20th August, 2.00-3.30pm

Workshops for Social Work students (OASIS)

Workshop 1: Wednesday the 14th August, 12.30-2.00pm

Workshop 2: Wednesday the 21st August, 12.30-2.00pm

Workshops for International Students (OASIS)

Workshop 1: Thursday the 15th August, 9.30-11.00am

Workshop 2: Thursday the 22nd August, 9.30-11.00am

So put the dates in your diary and make sure you are first at the door on the day.

Events Flinders services and programs Life Skills Our Partners Participate