Overview: Many students are studying to get a degree and expand their work options. It isn’t just the skills in your degree that are relevant to future workforce participation. Horizon at Flinders offers job ready programs, workshops, volunteering opportunities and more. A list of upcoming workshops in the post. Reading time ~ 5.5 minutes.
I’m a strong believer in the Flinders Horizon Award Program. It is a chance to develop skills, alongside those of your degree, that make you job ready. The more you do, the more points you get. Points = awards. Awards can then be included on your CV/resume as you enter into the workforce. A recent Australian Student Wellbeing Survey by Studiosity found that careers support is popular amongst students wanting greater certainty about their future job prospects.
Whilst it is true that we have our whole lives to develop our personal and professional skillsets (life is a constant lesson), university is a great time to go hard on the personal and professional development stuff as the programs are free, targeted to students and, in many cases, the earlier you start with this stuff, the better. The demonstration of this additional learning shows employers you are mindful of the need for both discipline specific work skills as well as transferable work skills.
With this in mind, I am keen to showcase Horizon programs more on the blog. Timely therefore that Annalise from Horizon just sent through some of their upcoming programs for August and beyond!
Take a moment to browse and see if anything resonates with you. You’ll notice a nice mix of work and personal skills in the listings.
A quick note: Links go to the event pages on CareerHub (login required). All workshops are online on Collaborate via either FLO (Horizon or Careers). Report any broken links to firstname.lastname@example.org
Horizon ReadyGrad Workshop Series
In Semester 2, each workshop will be run twice with one during the day and one during the evening. The focus of these curated offerings is to develop theoretical and practical understandings that hone your skills to excel and add value within your professional areas of practice. Through facilitation and interaction, you’ll learn how to apply and articulate your skills. All are welcome to attend and workshops will be online via Collaborate.
- Goal Setting and Time Management
- Managing Stress, Balance and Wellness
- Individual and Team Strengths
- Transition to Corporate Life
- Presenting with Impact
- Effective Meetings
- Navigating Organisations
- Building Rapport and Business Etiquette
- Australian Workplace Culture
- Learning to Lead – Managing Up*
- Building Resilience and Receiving Feedback
Earn 1.5 Horizon Award points for full attendance, once per workshop. *This workshop is eligible for leadership points.
Job Hacks Workshops
Set yourself up for success by participating in online workshops on resume and cover letter writing, job searching, interview preparation, graduate programs, and more. By attending Job Hacks you can learn how to articulate your value and put your best foot forward when applying for jobs! Upcoming workshops:
- Job Searching Strategies | Wed 22 June 2:00PM- 3:00PM | Register here
- Job Hacks for your Resume | Mon 27 June 3:00PM – 4:00PM | Register here
- Introduction to LinkedIn | Tues 28 June 10:00AM – 11:00AM | Register here
- Job Hacks for Creating your Personal Marketing Pitch | Tues 5 July 11:00AM – 12:00PM | Register here
- Job Hacks for Career Planning | Wed 13 July 1:00PM – 2:00PM | Register here
- Job Hacks for your Cover Letter | Fri 15 July 10:00AM – 11:00AM | Register here
Earn 1 Horizon Award point for full attendance, once per workshop.