safeTALK – we are running it here at Flinders

safeTALK

I’ve written previously about safeTALK.

“SafeTALK is a half-day alertness workshop that prepares anyone, regardless of experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper. Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with the pain in their lives. Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. SafeTALK-trained helpers can recognise these invitations and take action by connecting them with life-saving mental health support.”

The training runs for 3.5 hours and you will learn how to:

• notice and respond to situations where thoughts of suicide may be present
  • provide practical help by using the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and Keep safe)
  • act quickly to connect the person with someone trained in suicide intervention
  • contribute to building a safer community.

Two workshops were run in 2018 and the feedback from participants was excellent:

Good, clear information and steps about how to recognise and approach someone we are concerned about. Thankyou!

It has really helped clear up some of the ‘taboo’ about suicide and made me more alert to people experiencing suicidal thoughts in the community and ways to help them.

Very good. The safeTALK framework was easy to use and the role plays gave us great practice. 

This training will add to my knowledge about how I speak to people. I will be more elaborate and in-depth when I offer a hand.

Good training that gives some practical skills to use when someone has suicidal thoughts. It gives clear goals and tells you what to do step-by-step.

The session was very informative and insightful. It provides key concepts that can be applied in many/all areas and with people from all walks of life (suicide doesn’t discriminate). I feel good knowing I have participated in this workshop know that I can make a difference. Thank you.

The trainer was prepared and engaging. The role play section was highly useful in breaking down barriers to effectively talk with a person nurturing suicidal thoughts. I feel well prepared now.

safeTALK programs for 2019 have finished. However we will be running them again in 2020.

To register your interest in attending a session in 2020 please email: oasis@flinders.edu.au

You can earn 20 Horizon Award Points for this activity.

safetalk
Click to get flyer

Share this with your friends, classmates and colleagues if you think they will be interested. We can look at running workshops for both students and staff.

Events Flinders services and programs Mental Health Training