Forget the grocery shopping – grow your own vegies!

Some timely nutrition advice from Rebecca Greco from Nourish Adelaide. Bec used to run nutrition related programs here at Flinders and maintains a strong interest in student nutrition (i.e. nutrition for students, not how nutritious a student is). 

I don’t know about you but I am feeling overwhelmed with shopping for groceries at the moment. Not only am I packed like sardines shuffling through the aisles but I also feel anxious about finding the groceries I need on the shelves.

I also cannot help to think about the rising prices of vegetables over the next few months. Vegetables are a core food group within the Australian Dietary Guidelines for so many reasons – they are super high in vitamins and minerals which are so important for a healthy immune system (very much needed going into the flu season) and high in fibre needed for good gut health.

So this is quite the conundrum. We should aim to eat 5 serves of vegies every day (1 serve = 1 cup raw veg or ½ cup cooked veg) for good overall health and wellbeing but prices are rising.

That is why this week I am leaving the grocery bags in the car and instead, grabbing the shovel out of the shed. Planting seeds now will give you an abundance of veg perfect for winter meals.

Think of growing green leafy veg like

– Spinach

– Spring onions

– Broccoli

– Kale

– Cauliflower

– Celery

This is also a great time to plant seeds for beetroot, carrots and green beans.

Do not forget flavour and plant garlic and shallots and herbs like parsley and coriander.

Sparing a few dollars for seeds now will result in big savings. Gardening is also the perfect procrastination activity – close the laptop in between lectures and unwind outside in the sunshine.

Written by Rebecca Greco, Accredited Practising Dietitian, Flinders University Alumni and owner of Nourish Adelaide

www.nourishadl.com

www.instagram.com/nourishadl/

www.facebook.com/nourishadl/

Guest Posts Healthy Lifestyle Nutrition Our Partners