Three Mental Health First Aid training opportunities in Semester 2, 2023. Details in post.
Mental Health First Aid for Tertiary Students
One in five Australian adults experiences a mental health problem. Mental Health First Aid is the initial help and support provided to a person experiencing a mental health issue or in a mental health crisis, until the appropriate professional help is received, or the crisis resolves. This 2-day practical and accredited educational course equips you with the skills to understand mental health issues and help others, using a proven, evidence-based Action Plan.
Free Accredited Training for Flinders Students
Flinders is offering this sought-after accreditation to our students for free, funded through our Students Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF). Training dates for Semester 2, 2023 have been announced.
This 2-day educational course, equips you with the skills to understand mental health issues and help others, using a proven, evidence-based Action Plan.
It does not teach you to be a counsellor.
Over the 2 days, participants will
- Learn how to recognise common mental health problems
- Improve knowledge of mental illnesses, their treatments and appropriate first aid actions
- Increase confidence to provide first aid
- Learn where and how to seek appropriate professional help
- Know how to respond in a crisis situation
*This course is for currently enrolled Flinders University students only.*
Mental health problems covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered include:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
Should I do this course?
This course is designed for those that can answer yes to the following questions:
- Do you want to learn how to give mental health first aid to others?
- Are willing to talk about: mental health concepts, approaches to helping others and community mental health resources?
Enough talking – how do I enrol?
Semester 2, 2023 dates have been announced:
COURSE DATES AND DETAILS:
Course 1: Oasis Wellbeing Centre, Humanities Road, Bedford Park 5042
Day 1: Wednesday 26 July, 9-4pm
Day 2: Wednesday 2 August, 9-4pm
Course 2: Studio 2 (behind Café Grind and Press), Registry Road, Bedford Park 5042
Day 1: Tuesday 15 August, 9-4pm
Day 2: Tuesday 22 August 9-4pm
Course 3: Studio 2 (behind Café Grind and Press), Registry Road, Bedford Park 5042
Day 1: Thursday 12 October 9-4pm
Day 2: Thursday 19 October 9-4pm
✨ Pick your course and RSVP at Eventbrite. ✨
- There are limited spots, so please DO NOT register unless you can genuinely attend both days
- Only Flinders’ students may enrol.
- This course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course.
- If you have any questions about the program or concerns about your capacity to fully participate in the course, please contact the organisers – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any concerns about your own mental health and wellbeing, please contact Health Counselling and Disability Service or your own mental health practitioner.