Meet Ali Barnes – the Wellbeing Promotion Officer

Ali Barnes

A week or so back I introduced you to Sascha – she helps students with disability get jobs. Looking at the site clicks tells me there were quite a few of you that were happy to meet Sascha (in the digital realm that is), so I thought it appropriate to do such introductions more regularly. Today I am introducing you to Ali Barnes. She is the Wellbeing Promotion Officer with OASIS and a kick-arse person in general. Take it away Ali!………….

If someone asked you what the Wellbeing Promotion Officer does, it could be hard to narrow down what exactly that job would be. Or if that even existed at Flinders.

Well it does and it’s me – Ali, and this role is part of the Oasis, the community wellbeing centre on campus.

Ali

Through student feedback and engagement, I develop and implement health promotion and wellbeing initiatives, at the OASIS and across the campus. This can be annual events, ongoing programs, training, volunteer coordination and one-off events all related to mental health and wellbeing.

What I love the most is engaging directly with students, hearing what life is like for them, what they recommend, and being able to utilise that to deliver what students want, can get involved with, and benefit from.

Here is just a snapshot of what I’ve been involved with 2018

• Ensuring there is accessible free or cheap food when you are devouring your textbook’s content or paying your last dollar to your rent. If this is you, check out the Flinders Community Market on Thursdays at the OASIS, 12-1.30pm.
ali @ the market
I promise the market is bigger than just one table 🙂
  • Providing you with warmer, cooler, or somewhere in-between-season clothes. This was through the staff winter coat donation drive, and the visit of the Thread Together van providing students with free clothes.

Students Winter coat drive

• Giving you a chance to check in with your mental health by petting a reptile during Mental Health Week or chilling in the teepee tent on RUOK Day in 2018. Stay tuned for more events like these in 2019 and come and say hi even if we run out of free stuff.

RUOK Day 2018

• I also get to support, and be inspired by, students via the Wellbeing Ambassador Program. This was launched in 2018 with 8 Ambassadors contributing to the above and sharing their thoughts on what works for students and learning more about health promotion and mental health.

Here is what I have got planned for 2019:

• I am definitely going to run the Wellbeing Ambassador Program again in 2019. Participating students will get to contribute to student wellbeing initiatives, access free training, implement events, and develop your own ideas to improve student wellbeing. If this is something that you might be interested in, applications open for the program in Semester 1 2019, although feel free to get in contact with me beforehand (my contact details below).

• The Flinders Community Market will continue to run weekly at OASIS, providing free and low cost food. Thursdays 12-1.30pm. Lock that date and time in your diary.

Community Market

• The Thread Together Van is booked to visit the campus on a number of dates next year providing free clothing for students. Unique colourful cards are needed to access this, so see your campus counsellor, GP or staff at OASIS for yours.

Thread Together

• University Mental Health Day is locked in for the 1st May 2019 – what kind of mental health related events and resources would you like to see available on this day?

• RUOK Day will roll by on the 12th September 2019, and we’ll have a number of activities going on around campus.

• …and more!!

Tell me your ideas

If you are interested in any of the above or an idea popped into your head while reading this, please contact me using the details below. I’d love to hear from you, no matter how small or outrageous you think the idea is!

abarnes@flinders.edu.au or 8201 5929, or drop in and see me on Wednesdays or Thursdays at OASIS.

If you don’t know how to get there, OASIS is located in the Function Centre, downstairs in the OCE building, opposite Car park 5.  From the Library head through the Laneway past the coffee cart and out towards the road.

The closest car parking is Humanities, car park 5 opposite the OCE building. 2-hour parking is available on level 1 of the Carpark.

A map link is here: https://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/where.cfm

Contact OASIS reception on 82013530 if you need assistance.

Events Flinders services and programs Guest Posts People Well-being at Flinders