Training for 2022 is finished. Stay tuned to blog for 2023 training dates.
Overview: We used to offer Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training. Then we didn’t. Now we do again!! Details in post. Reading time ~ 2 minutes.
Mental Health First Aid for Tertiary Students
Free Accredited Training for Flinders Students
Flinders is offering this sought-after accreditation to our students for free, funded through our Students Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF). There are currently trainings organised for late July and throughout August.
One in five Australian adults experiences a mental health problem. By educating ourselves we can all play our part in responding to this community need. Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person experiencing a mental health problem. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis is resolved. This training will focus on equipping you help you to understand and help others – It does not teach you to be a counsellor.
The program has a self-directed component which must be completed prior to two Zoom sessions which you must be able to attend.
Mental health problems covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered include:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
Should I do this course?
This course is designed for those that can answer yes to the following questions:
- Do you want to learn how to give mental health first aid to others?
- Are willing to talk about: mental health concepts, approaches to helping others and community mental health resources?
To enrol, go to our provider’s booking site, https://www.mindseyetraining.com.au/flinders/ and use the password – Flinders1
Training dates will then be visible and you can enrol in the date that best suits you.
If you have any questions or concerns get in touch with our provider via email: email@example.com
- There are limited spots, so please DO NOT register unless you can genuinely attend.
- Only Flinders’ students may enrol.
- This course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course.
- If you have any concerns about your capacity to fully participate in the course, please contact the provider.
If you have any concerns about your own mental health and wellbeing, please contact Health Counselling and Disability Service or your own mental health practitioner.