To be clear, it isn’t a mailing list for learning how to procrastinate. It is about learning to tackle procrastination. I (like many) am already an expert in avoiding stuff.
There, I said it. And now that I have, I feel so much freer!
And I run a program on tackling procrastination called Studyology!
Being embarrassed or ashamed of procrastination is wasted mental energy. Studiosity released some findings from a survey they conducted that suggested almost 80% of students claimed they struggled with procrastination in some way. The other 20% were probably lying.
Rather than admonishing oneself for avoidance, focus instead on accumulating the knowledge and tools to tackle it.
In Studyology we explore psychological tools for tackling procrastination. But that program only runs a few times per year and people can’t always allocate the 5 x 90-minutesessions necessary for attendance (although we do have some recordings).
So, I am kicking off something I have been thinking about for a while but not actioning (sound familiar?). I am starting an email distribution list (ol skool) of students (and staff also welcome) who want to learn more about tackling procrastination.
The timing is good because we just recently ran Studyology and have a small email distribution list already in place. I am also in the process of revising the Studyology program to prepare to turn it into a self-guided topic in Canvas. As I revise it, I am learning new stuff which seems relevant to share. For example, just the other day I shared with previous Studyology participants some updated thoughts on the use of mindful check-ins for creating choice points when studying.
If you join, I won’t be bombarding you with emails. Most of us already get too many and their management probably contributes to the procrastination. However, I will use the distribution list to:
- share interesting procrastination research that I find
- provide updates on the development of the Studyology self-guided topic
- alert you to when we might be running a live Studyology program or procrastination focused sessions
- highlight productivity strategies that I am exploring myself (the results of my own self-experimentation)
- feature insights from students and staff on how they are tackling their workload
Frequency will probably be around 2 emails per month.
The focus of the content I send will be procrastination related, but some general productivity stuff may make it in there as well. Think of it as an online community of people who are curious about how to get stuff done with fewer headaches. That would certainly describe me well.
To join simply email me (email@example.com) with the subject line ‘add me to studyology distribution list’ and then whatever you want to put in the body of the email.
You’ll be able to leave at any point if it is not meeting your needs.
It feels good to finally get this blog post done 😊