I’m talking about mental health and resilience on the 9th May during Wellbeing Week @ Flinders

Wellbeing Week @ Flinders is coming up from the 8th to 12th May. On the 9th May, in the evening, from 6.00pm to 7.30pm I’ll be talking about mental health and resilience online. Join me and learn what the term ‘mental health’ actually means and some of the psychological tools you can use to build and maintain mental health. Details in the post, including how to RSVP.

Wellbeing Week @ Flinders is coming up, running from the 8th to the 12th May 😃

It is a chance to explore wellbeing as a set of skills and habits that we can build that help bring balance to busy lives. I don’t know about you, but I feel the frenetic pace of modern life is such that if I didn’t pay deliberate attention to my wellbeing, it would get lost amongst the many things competing for my attention.

In a way, Wellbeing Week is a chance for all of us to give ourselves permission to focus on our wellbeing and the wellbeing of our peers.

There will be lots happening on campus, which you’ll hear about in the coming weeks via email and social media. So a really simple way to ‘celebrate’ Wellbeing Week is just to check your emails about what is happening and be on campus.

Because wellbeing is my thang, Student Experience invited me to run an event during the week, so I thought I’d do a Be Well Plan Taster Session.

The Be Well Plan is a mental health and resilience program that students can do here at Flinders. You can learn more about the program at this post.  In short, the program teaches you about mental health, wellbeing and resilience and the psychological tools you can learn to build and maintain these things. It is like spending a few sessions with a personal trainer, but instead of training the body, we are training the mind.

The full program is a significant commitment of time – either 5 x 2-hour sessions over 5 weeks, or a single 1 x 6-hour mega session. Most of us feel time pressure and it can be hard to commit to the full program when we aren’t sure whether it would be worth the time.

So, I am delivering the Be Well Plan Taster session on the evening of the 9th May from 6pm to 7.15. It will be delivered via Teams and you can RSVP here.

The Taster session gives you a good sense of what the full program involves and teaches some specific psychological tools: mindfulness, self-compassion, meaningful photos and more. If you’ve wanted to learn more about mental health and the tools and strategies people use to look after their mental health, this is a great opportunity. Even those who don’t necessarily go on to the use the tools in the session, find the content on ‘mental health’ valuable, because psychology has come a long way in thinking about mental health. It isn’t just about illness anymore. It is about the tools to live a rich and meaningful life.

And of course, the Taster session will help you determine if you’d like to commit the time for the full program.

The session on the 9th May is free and with no strings attached. A small investment you can make in your mental health and wellbeing.

Would love to see you there. Whether you’ve made a specific commitment to work on your mental health or are just curious, you are very welcome.

If you’ve got questions about the session, email me: gareth.furber@flinders.edu.au

Otherwise, head over to Eventbrite and book your spot.

Be Well Plan Disability News Events Flinders services and programs Mental Health Participate Psychological Tools Recommended Watching Talks given Well-being at Flinders