A colleague forwarded me a flyer about Open Arms Veterans and Families Counselling. I’ve reproduced here for those in the Flinders community who have also served with the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and may be eligible for this counselling support option.
Who we are
Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling (Open Arms) is a leading provider of mental health and counselling services to Australia’s military community. Established more than 40 years ago as the Vietnam Veterans’ Counselling Service, we provide military-aware mental health counselling, relationship counselling, peer support services and group programs for people with Australian Defence Force (ADF) service (current and former serving members) and their immediate families. We are a service founded by Vietnam Veterans, now for all veterans and families.
Who we help
Open Arms’ counselling and support services are available to:
- current serving Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel
- personnel transitioning to civilian life
- ex-serving members
- partners and children of serving and ex-serving personnel
- ex-partners who are co-parenting
- reservists with one day continuous full time service or
Where there has been a death in service of a person, parents and siblings can access the service.
What we offer
Open Arms focuses on meeting client needs through a combination of evidence-based and informed clinical practices and new and emerging evidence-based approaches. There are more than 400 staff engaged by Open Arms, made up of Clinical Staff, Support Staff and Peer Workers.
Our services include:
- counselling for individuals, couples and families
- 24-hour telephone support – 1800 011 046
- care coordination for complex needs
- Lived Experience Peer support
- self-help resources
- group treatment programs.
Open Arms will refer clients to external support services when they require:
- Specialised Family and Domestic Violence support
- court ordered counselling
- interventions for children, although children may receive support as part of family counselling
- homelessness services, but can support through case management and short term emergency accommodation.
How to access
You can contact Open Arms by calling 1800 011 046.
It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
New clients will undertake an intake assessment. If eligible for Open Arms service, clients will be allocated to their nearest Open Arms regional office.
For veterans who want to remain anonymous, Safe Zone Support is a free, 24-hour counselling line for all current and ex-serving ADF personnel, veterans and their families.
Image of Flyer 🖼