‘Being a University Student’ slides for all!

This recent presentation to 1st year Tourism students covered good study and mental health practices, drawing specifically on the Big 5, from research conducted by the team at Mindspot.

Today I got to speak with 1st Year Tourism students. Thanks to all in attendance for your attention and contributions.

My involvement in talking to this cohort stretches back to 2019, when I did a very sub-par presentation on my first go. You can read my apology blog post here.

But Marion (topic coordinator) was kind enough to give me a second chance and I’ve spoken to this cohort every year since 2019, and I think done a much better job that my first try.

The presentation I give has changed over time. It currently focuses on:

• Evidence-based study practices
  • Foundational personal practices for good mental health
  • Starting new habits
  • Overview of Health, Counselling and Disability Support services

The slides can be accessed here

One of the things we focused on in this session is The Big 5 from the team at Mindspot. I’ve written about these previously. In short, these are five daily activities that show a reliable connection with positive mental health. They are:

Meaningful Activities – These give us a sense of accomplishment, satisfaction or joy. They can be as simple as listening to a favourite song or watching a good show, and they are often fun and engaging.

Healthy Thinking – This means having realistic thoughts about ourselves, the world, and the future. This also means keeping perspective and treating ourselves with respect, particularly when things are difficult.

Goals and Plans – Having a goal or a plan helps us stay motivated and energised. Goals give us something to look forward to and stop us dwelling on past problems.

Healthy Routines – Routines we do automatically like our sleep routine, eating well or being active, are critical for good mental health. These actions set us up for the day.

Social Connections – Regular contact with people we love and respect, which may include our family, friends or tribe, helps us to feel validated and gives us a sense of belonging.

The idea is simple. You assess the extent to which you engage in these activities on a regular basis, and if they are relatively absent, you take steps to introduce them regularly, as a good starting point for building better mental health.

The MindSpot people have created a journal to guide you through the process of self-assessment and coming up with actionable versions of each of the 5.

Whether or not you were in attendance at the session, you might find the Big 5 work interesting.

Take care everyone.

G

Academic skills Behaviour Change Flinders services and programs Health Information Mental Health Our Partners Recommended Reading Talks given Well-being at Flinders