Getting Off To A Good Start Guide 2020

Whether this is your first year at university or you are returning to continue your studies, I am going to make the assumption that you want to get off to a ‘good start’.

By that I mean you have habits in place that will help you succeed at your studies, as well as enjoy your time at university.

With Orientation in full swing, I put together this guide called ‘Getting off to a good start*. We’ll be handing it out to new students during their first few weeks at university.

But this guide is not only relevant to new students. It is relevant to any student, at any stage of their degree, who is hoping to make 2020 a successful year.

The version attached to this blog post is the ‘bundled’ version – it comes attached to other documents that complement the main guide. One of them is our Evidence-Based Study Strategies document which tells you exactly what study strategies work and which ones don’t. The other is our Self-Care Mega Guide, a document packed with tips for creating the life you want.

So please download, read, contemplate, share, burn for warmth. If you see the HCD team around during Orientation, we will have print copies available. You can also drop in to the Health Service (Level 3, Student Centre) and probably find a copy as well 🙂

But that is not all……

My goal is to make this guide one of the definitive guides provided to new students as they start their university experience.

The first Getting Off To A Good Start guide was published in 2019. We then revised it for 2020.

Whilst I am pretty happy with the document, I don’t believe in settling. I have ideas on how to improve it further. One of those ideas is to include advice from current students to new students on what worked for them in making the most of their university experience

So if you have some wisdom you’d like to share with new students, either respond to this blog post, or email me directly on gareth.furber@flinders.edu.au

If we get enough content from existing students, I’ll include an ‘advice from other students’ section in future versions of the guide.

Enjoy…

Hard copies for those that still love the feel of printed books
Academic skills eMental Health Resources External health and mental health services Flinders services and programs Health Information Healthy Lifestyle Life Skills Lifehacks Mental Fitness Mental Health Participate Psychological Tools Recommended Reading Resilience Treatment Options Well-being Well-being at Flinders